Scotts Bluff County - Weed Control

The number one responsibility of the Weed Control Authority is to control noxious weeds in Scotts Bluff County. The Weed Control Authority is administered by the Nebraska Department of Agriculture. They have designated 7 Nebraska weeds as noxious, they are Canada thistle, Musk thistle, plumeless thistle, leafy spurge, spotted knapweed, diffuse knapweed and purple loosestrife. Scotts Bluff County has also designated field bindweed as a noxious weed.

It is the responsibility of the Weed Control Authority to do annual inspections of all land in its jurisdiction in order to determine whether noxious weeds are present. If noxious weeds are present the Weed Control Authority has the responsibility either to control or advise landowners on control. It is the duty of every person who either owns or controls land in Nebraska to control noxious weeds.

Noxious Weeds Must Be Controlled

You are required to control noxious weeds on your property...
The noxious weeds are: Musk, Thistle, Plumeless Thistle, Canada Thistle, Leafy Spurge, Knapweed (spotted and diffuse), Field Bindweed and after January 1, 2001, Purple Loosestrife. Notice is hereby given this 25th day of August 2002, pursuant to the Noxious Weed Control Act, section 2-955, subsection 1(a), to every person who owns or controls land in Scotts Bluff County, Nebraska, that noxious weeds being or growing on such land shall be controlled at such frequency as to prevent establishment, provide eradication, or reduce further propagation or dissemination of such weeds.

Upon failure to observe this notice, the county weed superintendent is required to:

  • Proceed pursuant to the law and issue legal notice to the land-owner of property infested with noxious weeds giving such landowner15days to control the noxious weed infestation. Conviction for non-compliance may result in a $100.00 per day fine to the landowner with a maximum fine of $1,500; or
    Should more immediate control be required, proceed pursuant to the law and have the weeds controlled by such method as he/she finds necessary, the expense of which shall constitute a lien and be entered as a tax against the land, and be collected as other real estate taxes are collected, or by other means as provided by law.

The public is also notified that noxious weed seed and propagative parts may be disseminated through the movement of machinery and equipment, trucks, grain and seed, hay, straw, nursery stock, fencing materials, sod, manure, and soil as well as articles of similar nature. Methods of treatment have been prescribed by the Directory of Agriculture and may be obtained from the county weed control authority.

Contact Information


Public Works Building
Weed Control Authority
785 Rundell Road
Gering, NE 69341

Office Hours

Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Open through the lunch hour
Closed Weekends and Holidays


308 436-6700 - Main
308 436-6708 - Fax

Weed Maintenance

Winter hours: Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Summer hours: Monday - Thursday 6:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Steve Baird - Highway Superintendent

Frequently Asked Questions

What can we do if we control our noxious weeds and our neighbors will do nothing on their land?
Call Scotts Bluff County Weed Control, we can contact the landowner and if they refuse to control the problem, we can force spray and attach the cost to their property taxes.

What weed is it? What type of control should we use?
Contact Scotts Bluff Weed Control and we will identify the problem and advise how to control it.

Why does Scotts Bluff County have to have a Weed Control Authority?
It is Nebraska State Law that each county in Nebraska will employ a Weed Control Superintendent. It will be his responsibility to enforce the Noxious Weed Control Act.

Can the County Weed Superintendent enter my property without permission?
Yes. The Superintendent or his inspectors may enter any property to inspect or take specimens of weeds or other materials, without the consent of the person owning or controlling such land and without being subject to any action for trespass or damages.

Updated: 2024.04.24 - 06:49 MDT